Friday, March 2, 2012

My first acceptance letter.

I did it!
I received my first acceptance letter from one of the four MFA programs where I applied. And I must say, it feels like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders to know that at least one school thinks my writing is strong enough for their program.
For me, that was the biggest fear I had going into the application process: that my writing wasn't good enough. And it's scary because writing is subjective. What if the subject matter of my writing sample rubs someone the wrong way? That could be the difference between being admitted or rejected.
I love writing and I've always felt that I'm a strong writer but I've never really felt like I had any concrete proof that other people see me as a good writer. I've received constructive criticism in writing workshops but let's face it, it's hard to find someone who's willing to be completely blunt and honest in critiquing another person's passion.
So there have been some panicky moments when I think, "What if I'm a terrible writer and no one has the guts to tell me? What if I'm hoping to have a career in a field where my skills just aren't good enough?"
It's nerve-racking.
Right now, I'm a little reassured to know that my writing skills were good enough for one school, at least. It's pretty nice to think that other people sat down, read my stuff and said, "This girl's got what it takes for our program". I'm hoping to receive positive responses from the three other schools I applied at as well, but for now, one is enough to boost my confidence in my writing abilities.

6 comments:

  1. congrats!!!!

    www.aroundlucia.com
    www.aroundlucia.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. woot woot! you are a rockstar - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats!!! that must feel amazing! have confidence in yourself because i am sure you are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much for the encouraging comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!! That is fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete